School of Theater
SHARING STRATEGIES: ARTISTS’ CAPACITY and AGENCY
INTERIM 2011: January 18-30
immersive • exploratory • intensive • cross-over
What is INTERIM?
During the first two weeks of the spring semester (January 18-30, 2011), the School of Theater will participate in an INTERIM session, along with the School of Music and certain programs from the other schools.
INTERIM encourages: IMMERSION in study or activity beyond regular coursework; EXPLORATION of new and unfamiliar subjects and topics; INTENSIVE self-directed study; and CROSSOVER among schools and programs.
Who participates in INTERIM?
All students are expected to enroll in a minimum of 45 hours of INTERIM activities. INTERIM is considered part of the normal spring semester and students will receive one unit of credit for participation. Some students’ INTERIM credit hours will consist of participation in intensive production activity, or techniques classes (see list of productions and techniques classes scheduled during INTERIM below.)
Where can I find detailed INTERIM information?
Every student will receive the complete list of Theater and Music INTERIM Offerings via email. There will also be copies posted online (theater.calarts.edu/interim), in the 3rd floor callboard area and on the 1st floor outside of E197.
How do I sign-up for INTERIM?
Use the INTERIM SCHEDULE to figure out your schedule and register for Music and Theater INTERIM offerings during office hours:
8:30 am – 5 pm on Mon, Tue, Wed, December 13-15
for limited enrollment Music offerings, sign-up 9 am – 1 pm on Mon, Tue only, Dec 13, 14 at the Music School Office.
See detailed INTERIM sign-up information below.
Can I do an Independent Study during INTERIM?
Yes. Independent Study forms are available online, outside the Theater School Office and on the 3rd floor callboard. Each Independt Study may occupy up to 20 hours of INTERIM credit. You must identify a faculty advisor for your Independent Study.
Do Critical Studies classes meet during INTERIM?
Yes, during INTERIM Critical Studies classes will meet according to their normal schedule. Students registered in Critical Studies courses must attend during INTERIM. Courses in some other schools, as well as certain interdisciplinary classes may also be meeting. Please check with individual instructors or Schools for more information.
Will I be able to do my work-study or stipend job during INTERIM?
Everyone with a Theater School work-study/stipend job must schedule regular hours during INTERIM. These hours may differ from your schedule during the rest of the spring semester.
What if I have more questions on INTERIM?
Drop by the Theater School Office for basic INTERIM information.
INTERIM Sign-up Information
Theater students should obtain an INTERIM Schedule form as well as an INTERIM Schedule (posted and available on-line). INTERIM class signup will be held in the Theater and Music offices on Mon, Tue, December 13, 14, 8:30 am-1 pm. Theater will accept signups through 5 pm on Mon and Tue, and through Wed, Dec. 15.
- Your completed schedule should include approved work-study/stipend job hours.
- An approved Independent Study can be taken as a part of your INTERIM credit for up to 20 hours of INTERIM credit.
- It is expected that students will attend all sessions of any course they take.
- Theater students interested in enrolling in courses offered by the Music School should add these courses to their INTERIM Schedule form.
- For courses with limited enrollment, students will be admitted to the course through random selection, or subject to approval of the instructor as noted in the course description.
- Some courses may require a course fee (see descriptions).
- INTERIM schedule forms will be evaluated and approved by Theater School staff to make sure students meet the 45 hour requirement.
- There will be rehearsals for selected productions. Please see list of productions and techniques during INTERIM attached.
- If you miss INTERIM signup or wish to make a change, you may do so during spring course signup on Jan 13, 14, subject to course availability.
INTERIM attendance and credit
Students (including student instructors) must submit a one-page INTERIM Experience Report to the Theater School office within three weeks of the end of the INTERIM session. This report should include:
- a list of courses taken
- a reflection on each of the activities/courses
- a general evaluation of the INTERIM session.
School of Theater faculty will then assign credit and a grade.
It is expected that you will attend all sessions of your interim courses; schedules with conflicts will not be approved.
School of Theater Productions and Classes Participating in INTERIM
Selected students participating in the productions on this list may - in consultation with mentors fulfill some or all of their INTERIM credit hours with production work. If you’re unsure about the number of production hours approved for you during INTERIM, a master list is available in the Theater School Office.
- Camino Real
- Desire Under the Elms
- Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World
- Phaedra’s Love
Please refer to the INTERIM Acting/Technique class schedule which will indicate which of the following coursework will meet as part of INTERIM
Techniques Classes: 25 INTERIM credit hours
BFA1 Tai Chi
BFA1 Acting Studio (Nataki Garrett’s studios only) 10 INTERIM credit hrs
BFA3 Acting Studio (Mirjana Jokovic’s studio only) 10 INTERIM credit hrs
Techniques Classes: 25 INTERIM credit hrs
MFA1 Tai Chi
MFA2 Acting Studio (Mirjana Jokovic’s studio only) 10 INTERIM hrs